This Sunday will mark the 43rd version of the Maui Marathon. Undoubtedly one of the most beautiful courses in the world, this race begins at the Queen Ka’ahumanu Shopping Center in Kahului and ends at Whaler’s Village in Ka’anapali, and is highlighted by over 17 miles of oceanfront running on “The Best Island In The World!” Along the 26.2 mile course you’ll pass the oceanfront condos of Ma’alaea, wrap around the West Maui Mountains along the Honoapi’ilani Hwy, cruise by the beautiful homes on Front Street in Lahaina, and finally finish amongst the highrise condominiums in Ka’anapali.
A Full List Of The Weekend’s Events
While the weekend’s climax is the full marathon, there is a full slate of other events for those who aren’t long distance runners:
- Maui Go Red For Women Ambassador 5k Walk: “Leoda’s Kitchen and Pie Shop is proud to sponsor the 2013 The Maui Go Red For Women Ambassador 5k Walk. This event will be held at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 21st in conjunction with the Maui Tacos 5k run. This is a great opportunity raise awareness about the prevalence and severity of heart disease – the #1 killer of women. We need your help, so please come and walk for the cause. Bring a friend!!!“
- The 13th Annual Run Forrest Run Front Street Mile: Sponsored By Bubba Gumps: “The course is a one mile race down Front Street in Lahaina (half mile down and half a mile back). The starting line is fronting “BUBBA GUMPS”. The start time is Saturday at 3:00pm sharp for the youngest runners. All finishers receive a Bubba Gump commemorative t-shirt.”
- The Maui Tacos 5k Run: “Race start and finish is at Whalers Village in Kaanapali Resort. Race will start on Saturday at 8:00am., sharp! The new course heads south along Kaanapali Drive to Honoapiilani Hwy where you do a u-turn and come back past the start line. You keep going until Kekaii Drive where you take a right and head uphill for around 3/4 of a mile and make another u-turn and head down Kekaii Drive back to Kaanapali Drive and take a right. Follow this road north until the Sheraton roundabout and head back south to the finish line at Whalers Village.”
- Hard Rock Cafe 10k: “For all you wanna be Rockers or Closet Rockers, this years Hard Rock Cafe 10k on September 21st @ 6:30am will feature a Rock & Roll Costume Contest. Dress up like your favorite rocker or make your own rocker style. The male and female winners will receive a $50 certificate to the Hard Rock Cafe Maui. So bring your inner rocker out and join the fun.“
- The Warrior Challenge: “To become a Kukini Half Marathon Warrior, you must complete the Maui Tacos 5k and Bubba Gumps Run Forest Run Front Street Mile on Saturday the 21st, and run the Maui Half Marathon on Sunday the 22nd. To become a Kukini Full Marathon Warrior, you must complete the Hard Rock Cafe 10k and Bubba Gumps Run Forest Run Front Street Mile on Saturday the 21st, and run the Maui Marathon on Sunday the 22nd.”
- The Half Marathon: “This course will please the most discriminating runner! The half’s flat out-and-back course will feature all the beauty of the full marathon’s final miles as well as its festive finish line finale.”
Starting line at the Run Forrest Run Front Street Mile
Have You Participated In The Maui Marathon Before?
If so we’d love to hear about your experience in the comment section below. Also, if you’re planning on participating this weekend, be sure to let us know! You might have a companion to run with!